Herein lies not only the solution to guilt but also the reason for ongoing and debilitating guilt.
Other than the obvious going against our own heart’s voice which we call the conscience there are other macro reasons that we dance in a cycle of on-going guilt which can cause symptoms such as:
- open and repetitive confession of guilt to other people as if they could somehow relieve our burden.
- Fishing for compliments or fishing for positive reinforcement by haphazard confessions.
- Publicly putting ourselves down.
- False humility.
- Ignorance of God’s plan to relieve guilt by confession to God and man. “Confess your sins one to another and pray one for another that you may be healed”.
- Ignorance of God’s written Word.
- Denial of true wrongs committed.
- Self loathing
- self pity